Now that summer has ended, millions of children across the country have begun another school year. For parents, this includes stocking up on the regular supplies: books, paper, pencils, new clothes, backpacks, etc. For some California parents, however, they had to encounter one thing they were not prepared for: toxic mold spores.
Two teachers at Julia Morgan Elementary School in Stockton, California notified officials once they found toxic mold spores in two of their classrooms earlier this month. There had been reports of mold in the school before, but teachers and parents were told that it had been properly cleaned and removed. After the classroom had been cleaned, however, two of the teachers decided to take a closer look at their own rooms. After peeling back some of the wallpaper, both teachers found toxic mold spores and told the school staff right away.
According to kcra, teachers had been reporting feeling sick and getting headaches prior to the mold removal, and it may be connected. The mold has since been removed, and so far there are no reports of children getting sick.
While we tend to think of mold as something that happens only in abandoned or neglected buildings, it can spring up in any dark, damp space. Toxic mold can linger for years without being detected and can cause serious, often irrevocable, health complications. If you have been exposed to toxic mold, you may be entitled to money damages. Please contact one of our Massachusetts toxic mold attorney specialists today at 617-787-3700 or email us at email@example.com to learn more about your options.